Any information about climbing near Halkidiki?

Discussions (in English) about climbing in Greece
Ross Roberts

Any information about climbing near Halkidiki?

Post by Ross Roberts »

Hi I am coming to Greece in September and am staying in Halkidiki. I am looking for any information about climbing areas/routes and guidebooks that anyone may have. I have contacted the mountaineering club of Kavala, and also routes.gr, where it was recommended I post a topic on this forum.
So if anyone has any suggestions of good places to climb in this area that would be great. There will be about four of us, and we will have a car (so will try and get to Meteora), but if there is anything good close by it would be great to hear about it.

Cheers
Ross

nkroup

Climbing Areas in North-East Greece

Post by nkroup »

Dear Ross,
My name in Nikolas Kroupis and I leave in North-East of Greece for more that 10 year. There are few climbing areas in NorthEast Greece but not very close to Halkidiki. The biggest area are Iraklitsa near Kavala city and in Nestos River (Xanthi city) between Kavala and Xanthi. In both areas there are many routes most of them sport route, and a few traditional routes.
There is no English guides from both areas but only in Greek.
I have no detail description about the routes in Iraklitsa but I know that there are about 50 routes 10-100m long, with difficulties from 4a up to 8a.
I have design the climbing Guide of Nestos river area which is available in our website:
http://www.eosx.gr/climbing_uk.html
Unfortunately, is in Greek but I can help you as much as I can to find the routes and to climb in the area.
Currently I am in Belgium long time now, but I going back to Greece in few days. Leaving for an expedition to Pakistan and after 20 August I will be in Xanthi until winter. So, If you are able to vitit the area you can mail me or call me few days before and I can show all the climbing area of Nestos river.
Specially there are 4 main sectors with totally 70 sport routes 10-30m.
You can download the PDF guide, it is in Greek but you can look about the difficulties and there are photo with all the routes drowned on the photo.
The routes start from 5a up to 8a.
Let me know if you need further info
I can translate part of the guide to help you.
Nikolas
Look far, climb high

Ross Roberts

Post by Ross Roberts »

Thanks Nikolas,
Thats great!
I'll have a good look at what you've sent and then i will probably get back in touch with you if thats ok.
I hope your expedition to Pakistan goes well

cheers
Ross